If you very often go motorcycle camping then it is important that you eat healthy foods. The food which gives you energy. The food which shouldn’t make you feel tired or ill. So you are here to find the best dehydrated meals for motorcycle camping, but before continuing the reading you have a right to know, what is going to be covered here? You will learn the following things from this post:
- How to check your food is healthy or not?
- Why there is no need for high calorie?
- Why I prefer vegetarian meals but not meat?
- What are the benefits of dehydrated meals?
- How to dehydrate meals?
- How to rehydrate meals?
- Finally, the list of the 4 best dehydrated meals.
Healthy food is more important than mouth-watering food
Most of the incredibly tasty food belongs to the family of unhealthy food. I am not saying every but its mostly junk. See how your tongue reacts when the pizza is lying in front of you. So it is good to choose a healthy meal which gives you energy but not sucks your energy. In fact, I am saying you should pack healthy meals when going for motorcycle camping. And you should eat healthy food daily whether you’re going camping or not.
Is your food healthy?
To check this, you should notice how your body is responding and feeling after eating. If you’re feeling energized for several hours then the food is healthy. But if your body is feeling tired after eating then please replace your meal.
There is no need to eat high-calorie meals
High-calorie meals are great for the hikers. For example, a 160 pound of man or woman can easily burn up to 440 calories per hour. So hikers need more calories for continuous hiking. But I think you’re going to ride a motorcycle for long hours. Just sitting on the seat.
So you don’t need to take lots of calories. just a decent number of calories will make your day full of energy.
Why I preferred Vegetarian meals over meat?
It is a myth that you can get good nutrients only from meat. In fact, many who eats meat, do not eat for health, they only eat to taste animal flesh. Let’s be clear – We can eat meat only if there is no land for agriculture, and I hope this type of day will never come where there is no agricultural land.
If you eat meat then you should do an experiment which I already told you in the previous section ‘Is your food healthy’ and do the same with kale chips, then see which one is making you energized and nice or weak from inside.
If you already did any outdoor activities like motorcycle camping or hiking. Then you may know – if there is less energy in your body, you will not enjoy such outdoor activities to the fullest.
Benefits of dehydrated motorcycle camping meals
Why preparing dehydrated meals at home is better than buying readymade? There are many benefits but some major benefits are:
- Less to no preservatives. As manufacturing happens in bulk, so the company want their meals to last for long. And for this, they use preservatives. If any meal has heavy preservatives then they can affect your health really badly. But this is not the case with homemade dehydrated meals. You prepare these meals just before going to motorcycle camping, so they will last good for many days without using any preservatives. Some reactive food may need a little preservative to store for long.
- Homemade meals are cheap in price but high in quality and taste. If you’re buying readymade food for more than a week camping then it can really affect your savings. However, it is cheap to prepare the same meal at home. The only investment you do is for the best dehydrator and the best motorcycle camping stove. And it is good to have a dehydrator at home if you do a lot of motorcycle camping because this one-time investment is going to save you from the high price of readymade meals.
- Low weight. The weight of food will reduce up to 30 percent after dehydrating a meal.
- You are free to experiment. It’s time to make your own custom meal.
- You are familiar with the ingredients you used. When you rehydrate readymade meals then you notice that some ingredients are hard to identify. But it is not so with the meals you prepared on your own. You eat what you make.
How to dehydrate meals
Let’s watch the step by step process of dehydrating the meals.
The same process is also applied for backpackers.
Items used for dehydration are:
- Cosori Dehydrator to remove the water and moisture from the meal and completely dehydrate it.
- parchment paper, so that your meal would not slip from the holes of the tray.
- Mylar bag to store what you prepare
- Vacuum Sealer to seal the package
How to rehydrate food
For rehydration – Take a cup of water or more according to a meal and boil it in a stove. Now when the water is boiled, turn your stove off and put everything in the pot then stir it properly to combine the meal. Leave it for 10-15 minutes and ensure that the meal is completely rehydrated. Now your meal is ready to go inside your stomach. Ya, you can add some addon like sauce or butter.
4 best dehydrated meals for motorcycle camping
Horse gram (The best meal)
Horse gram. The simple meal doesn’t need any preparation at home. The horse gram is one of the healthiest meals you can find on this planet. So how can it be prepared?
Just buy some horse gram from a grocery store and at the time of night on motorcycle camping, just before you sleep take some water on a bowl and put 40-60 horse grams in the water and check if all horse grams are completely drowned or not, if not add some more water. Let the horse gram in the bowl all night.
Now, when you wake up in the morning, remove the water from the bowl and eat 20-30 horse gram and put the remaining grams in a clean cloth and tie the cloth. Put this in your bag where some air can easily pass. After 9 to 10 hours open the cloth and you’ll saw that grams are sprouted.
Eat these sprouted horse gram and repeat the same process every day of your motorcycle trip and this meal is also recommended for hikers.
You’ll feel a great freshness and coolness in your body.
- 2 or 3 bananas
- 1 tablespoon freshly prepared lemon juice
Cut all the bananas into 3-4 mm inch slices and mix the lemon juice with 1/4 cup of water. Brush each banana slice from both the sides with the mixture of lemon juice and water. Now place the banana into the dehydrator tray and dehydrate them at 135F for 6-10 hours.
Store these dehydrated chips in an airtight container or put them in a packet sealed with the vaccum sealer.
You can eat chips without water or you can rehydrate it with the boiled water.
- Sweet potato
- Maple syrup
- Orange or apple juice
Peel the potato and cut into small squares, then boil until it becomes soft. Now blend the potato with maple syrup, apple juice, and cinnamon until it becomes smooth. Now take a parchment lined tray and spread this blended mixture onto it and dehydrate it at 145F for 8 to 9 hours. Remember to flip and remove the paper on the 1/2 way through dehydration.
If you grind the finished product, it will speed up the rehydration process. You can eat it directly or can rehydrate it by the process I shared above in the section of ‘how to rehydrate food’.
- Graham crackers
- Peanut butter
Grind some graham crackers (Grind according to the quantity you need. You get more if you grind more) and put this ground mixture into a bowl. Now grind the 2-3 banana (you can grind more) and then add the peanut butter and spices like cinnamon.
Combine the graham crackers with the banana by blending them. When it is combined add some almonds into this mixture and blend it for 5-7 seconds so that the almonds don’t get chopped.
Sealed up this combination in parchment paper and put it in a fridge for 15-30 minutes so that the slicing of the meal gets easier. After the mixture gets little soft remove it from the fridge and cut this roll into a flat cylindrical form. Put these in the parchment-lined tray and dehydrate them at 135F for 8-10 hours.
- 1/4 cup dehydrated cooked rice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground flaxseed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon freez-dried diced apples
- 2 tablespoons full cream milk powder
- 1 teaspoon ghee
No special home preparation needed, just pack all ingredients in a medium sized zip-lock freezer bag and pack ghee seprately. Now during your trip when you feel hungry boil 1/2 cup water and pour it carefully into the bag with brown rice cereal mixture.
After stiring it close the bag and put it a warm place for about 5 minutes (you can use your backpack as a warm ground for this meal). Now stir in ghee and enjoy the tasty warm meal.
So which is your favorite dehydrating meal? No problem if your desired meal isn’t discussed. The meals I shared above are meatless and purely based on health. At last, I want to say if you are health conscious then you must add horse grams not only to your camping meal plan but also to your daily diet.
Personally, when it comes to the best meal I always prefer health over taste. So the best meal is horse gram because it is the most nutritious gram you can find on earth. Horse gram has 3x calories than chicken, 2x protein than an egg, 10x calcium than milk, and 1x phosphorus than soya. What I’ve told is very little you can find more benefits of horse gram on outdoorfavor.com.
For 3 days camping trip you should bring the foods that have a little longer life span means either you can bring dehydrated foods, dried fruits or you can bring food that doesn’t get rotted in 1-2 days.
1. After dehydration vitamin A and vitamin C may be reduced or destroyed so make sure to get these nutritions from other sources to avoid vitamin deficiency
2. Excess calories
3. Dried food doesn’t taste as good as fresh foods
4. It takes time to dry foods
5. Color change
6. Overly dried foods may become hard to point where they do not soften again
There are various methods to dehydrate foods such as sun drying, vacuum drying, drum drying, microwave drying, extrusion cooking, fluidized bed drying, and pneumatic drying.
You can eat these meals without cooking them:
1. Sprouted horse grams
2. Banana chips
Yes, they are still healthy if you’ve dehydrated a healthy food unless you’re not dehydrating unhealthy foods. The size of foods also gets reduced after rehydration so the chances are you might eat more than you need so be careful about the quantity you’re taking.