If you very often go motorcycle camping, then you must eat healthy foods. The food which gives you energy. The food shouldn’t make you feel tired or ill. So you are here to find the best-dehydrated meals for motorcycle camping, but before continuing the reading, you have a right to know what is going to be covered here? You will learn the following things from this post:
- How to check whether your food is healthy?
- Why there is no need for high calories?
- Why do I prefer vegetarian meals but not meat?
- What are the benefits of dehydrated meals?
- How to dehydrate meals?
- How do rehydrate meals?
- Finally, the list of the 4 best-dehydrated meals.
Healthy food is more important than mouth-watering food
Most of the incredibly tasty food belongs to the family of unhealthy food. I am not saying but it’s mostly junk. See how your tongue reacts when the pizza is lying in front of you? So it is good to choose a healthy meal that gives you energy but does not suck your energy. I am saying you should pack healthy meals when going motorcycle camping. And you should eat healthy food daily whether or not you’re going camping.
Is your food healthy?
To check this, notice how your body is responding and feeling after eating. If you’re feeling energized for several hours, then the food is healthy. But if your body is feeling tired after eating, then please replace your meal.
There is no need to eat high-calorie meals
High-calorie meals are substantial for hikers. For example, a 160-pound man or woman can easily burn up to 440 calories per hour. So hikers need more calories for continuous hiking. But I think you’re going to ride a motorcycle for long hours. Just sitting on the seat.
So you don’t need to take lots of calories. Just a decent number of calories will make your day full of energy.
Why do I prefer Vegetarian meals over meat?
It is a myth that you can get good nutrients only from meat. Many who eat meat do not eat for health, they only eat to taste animal flesh. Let’s be clear – we can eat meat only if there is no land for agriculture, and I hope this type of day will never come where there is no agricultural land.
If you eat meat, then you should do an experiment which I already told you in the previous section ‘Is your food healthy?’ and do the same with kale chips, then see which one is making you energized and nice or weak from the inside.
If you have already done any outdoor activities like motorcycle camping or hiking. Then you may know – if there is less energy in your body, you will not enjoy such outdoor activities to the fullest.
Benefits of dehydrated motorcycle camping meals
Why is preparing dehydrated meals at home better than buying ready-made? There are many benefits, but some major benefits are:
- Less to no preservatives. As manufacturing happens in bulk, so the company wants its meals to last for long. And for this, they use preservatives. If any meal has heavy preservatives, then they can affect your health badly. But this is not the case with homemade dehydrated meals. You prepare these meals just before going motorcycle camping, so they will last well for many days using no preservatives. Some reactive food may need a little preservative to store for a long.
- Homemade meals are cheap in price but high in quality and taste. If you’re buying readymade food for more than a week of camping, then it can affect your savings. However, it is cheap to prepare the same meal at home. The only investment you do is for the best dehydrator and the best motorcycle camping stove. And it is good to have a dehydrator at home if you do lots of motorcycle camping because this one-time investment is going to save you from the high price of ready-made meals.
- Low weight. The weight of food will reduce up to 30 percent after dehydrating a meal.
- You are free to experiment. It’s time to make your custom meal.
- You are familiar with the ingredients you use. When you rehydrate readymade meals, then you notice some ingredients are hard to identify. But it is not so with the meals you prepared on your own. You eat what you make.
How to dehydrate meals
Let’s watch the step-by-step process of dehydrating the meals.
The same process applies to backpackers.
Items used for dehydration are:
- Cosori Dehydrator to remove the water and moisture from the meal and completely dehydrate it.
- parchment paper, so that your meal would not slip from the holes of the tray.
- Mylar bag to store what you prepare
- Vacuum Sealer to seal the package
How to rehydrate food
For rehydration – Take a cup of water or more according to a meal and boil it on a stove. After boiling the water, turn your stove off and put everything in the pot, then stir it properly to combine the meal. Leave it for 10-15 minutes for complete rehydration of the meal. Now your meal is ready to go inside your stomach. Ya, you can add some addon like sauce or butter.
4 best-dehydrated meals for motorcycle camping
Now you are going to learn my favorite DIY dehydrated meals that are cheap to prepare and great to taste and health. Hope you’ll enjoy them as much as I do.
Horse gram (The best meal)
Horse gram. A simple meal doesn’t need any preparation at home. The horse gram is one of the healthiest meals you can find on this planet. So how to prepare it?
Just buy some horse grams from a grocery store and at the time of night on motorcycle camping, just before you sleep, take some water in a bowl and put 40-60 horse grams in the water and ensure they are drowned completely. Let the horse gram in the bowl all night.
Now, when you wake up in the morning, remove the water from the bowl and eat 20-30 horse grams and put the remaining grams in a clean cloth and tie the cloth. Put this in your bag where some air can easily pass. After 9 to 10 hours, open the cloth and you’ll see that grams are sprouted.
Eat these sprouted horse grams and repeat the same process every day of your motorcycle trip. Hikers can also give it a shot.
You’ll feel a great freshness and coolness in your body.
- 2 or 3 bananas
- 1 tablespoon freshly prepared lemon juice
Cut all the bananas into 3-4 mm inch slices and mix the lemon juice with 1/4 cup of water. Brush each banana slice from both sides with a mixture of lemon juice and water. Now place the banana into the dehydrator tray and dehydrate them at 135F for 6-10 hours.
Store these dehydrated chips in an airtight container or put them in a packet sealed with a vacuum sealer.
You can eat chips without water or you can rehydrate them with boiled water.
- Sweet potato
- Maple syrup
- Orange or apple juice
Peel the potato and cut it into small squares, then boil until it becomes soft. Now blend the potato with maple syrup, apple juice, and cinnamon until it becomes smooth. Now take a parchment-lined tray and spread this blended mixture onto it and dehydrate it at 145F for 8 to 9 hours. Remember to flip and remove the paper on 1/2 way through dehydration.
If you grind the finished product, it will speed up the rehydration process. You can eat it directly or can rehydrate it by the process I shared above in the section on ‘how to rehydrate food’.
- Graham crackers
- Peanut butter
Grind some graham crackers (Grind according to the quantity you need. You get more if you grind more) and put this ground mixture into a bowl. Now grind the 2-3 bananas (you can grind more) and then add the peanut butter and spices like cinnamon.
Combine the graham crackers with the banana by blending them. Afterward, add some almonds into this mixture and blend it for 5-7 seconds so that the almonds don’t get chopped.
Sealed up this combination in parchment paper and put it in a fridge for 15-30 minutes so that the slicing of the meal gets easier. After the mixture gets a little soft, remove it from the fridge and cut this roll into a flat cylindrical form. Put these in the parchment-lined tray and dehydrate them at 135F for 8-10 hours.
- 1/4 cup dehydrated cooked rice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground flaxseed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon freeze-dried diced apples
- 2 tablespoons full cream milk powder
- 1 teaspoon ghee
Nothing to pre-prepare at home, just pack all ingredients in a medium-sized zip-lock freezer bag and pack ghee separately. Now, during your trip, when you feel hungry, boil 1/2 cup of water and pour it carefully into the bag with the brown rice cereal mixture.
After stirring it, close the bag and put it in a warm place for about 5 minutes (you can use your backpack as a warm ground for this meal). Now stir in ghee and enjoy the tasty warm meal.
So, which is your favorite dehydrating meal? Haven’t seen the meal you wish on the list? No problem!. The meals I shared above are meatless and purely based on health. At last, I want to say if you are health conscious, then you must add horse grams not only to your camping meal plan but also to your daily diet.
Personally,for the best meal I always prefer health over taste. So the best meal is horse gram because it is the most nutritious gram you can find on earth. Horse gram has 3x calories than chicken, 2x protein than an egg, 10x calcium than milk, and 1x phosphorus than soya. What I’ve told is very little you can find more benefits of horse gram on outdoorfavor.com.
For 3 days camping trip you should bring the foods that have a little longer life span means either you can bring dehydrated foods, dried fruits or you can bring food that doesn’t get rotted in 1-2 days.
1. After dehydration, vitamin A and vitamin C may be reduced or destroyed so get these nutritions from other sources to avoid vitamin deficiency.
2. Excess calories
3. Dried food doesn’t taste as good as fresh foods
4. It takes time to dry foods
5. Color change
6. Overly dried foods may become hard to a point where they do not soften again
There are various methods to dehydrate foods such as sun drying, vacuum drying, drum drying, microwave drying, extrusion cooking, fluidized bed drying, and pneumatic drying.
You can eat these meals without cooking them:
1. Sprouted horse grams
2. Banana chips
Yes, they are still healthy if you’ve dehydrated a healthy food unless you’re not dehydrating unhealthy foods. The size of foods also gets reduced after rehydration, so the chances are you might eat more than you need, so be careful about the quantity you’re taking.