Skip to Content

Can I Drive an RV With a Car License? (Statewise List For US!)

Sharing is caring!

Yes, you can drive all RVs under 26,000 pounds of GVWR with a regular car license. If you have an RV over 26,000 pounds (GVWR) then you’ll need a commercial license but don’t worry with a commercial license you can drive both car and an RV in your state without any problem.

Read the coming table to know which state requires which type of license to drive most vehicles, including RVs, motorhomes, cars, and vans under 26,000 pounds of GVWR.

Statewise List For DL Class – Can operate RV and Car

StatesGo for these classes to drive your RVs and cars under 26,000 pounds (GVWR) with the same license
New YorkClass D
New MexicoClass D
IdahoClass D
TexasClass D
New HampshireClass D
New JerseyClass D (For all types of vehicles registered by the MVC) Not for Commercial Vehicles Like large trucks, buses, and vehicle hauling hazardous materials
CaliforniaClass C
FloridaClass C
NebraskaClass O (Any Motor vehicle except commercial)
IllinoisClass C for Motor Vehicle between 16,000-26,000 pounds.
Class D for Motor Vehicle less than 16,000 pounds
MassachusettsClass B
UtahClass D (Non-commercial – max weight not mentioned)
MinnesotaClass D
WashingtonPDL or regular driver license
PennsylvaniaClass C
TennesseeClass D (Regular Car License)
AlabamaClass D (Regular operator, private passenger)
AlaskaClass C
ColoradoClass R
DelawareClass D
IowaClass C – Operator (for cars and RVs under 16,000 pounds)
MichiganOperator’s License
MississippiClass R or Class D – Operator
HawaiiClass 4
GeorgiaClass C
West VirginiaClass C
ArizonaClass D (Operator License)
IndianaStandard License
OhioClass D (You can’t tow a trailer with a gross weight of over 10,000 pounds)
North CarolinaRegular Class A, B, or C (Contact local drivers license office to know which class you need to go for)
OregonClass C (Towing a trailer up to 10,000 pounds is granted)
MontanaClass D
MarylandClass C (Tow trailers 10,000 pounds or less)
MaineClass C (Regular Drivers License)
MissouriClass F
WisconsinRegular Driver License (8-year validity) Probationary License (Class D – Valid for 2 years)
LouisianaClass E (RV or any single vehicle under 10,000 pounds)
ConnecticutClass D
KentuckyClass D
NevadaClass C (Towing a vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less)
ArkansasNormal, Class D
WyomingClass C
KansasClass C
Rhode IslandOperator’s license (Tow a trailer up to 10,000 pounds)
VermontClass D, Operator’s driver’s license
North DakotaClass C
OklahomaClass D
Remember above classes is for all motor vehicles (Cars, RVs, etc. ) under 26,000 pounds (any exemptions are mentioned)

Commercial Vs. Non-Commercial (CDL Vs. Non-CDL) License For RV

Through my research on driving an RV with a car license, Nearly all US states have commercial and noncommercial driving licenses. In all cases, I’ve found that the weight of your vehicle, seats, and work type of your vehicle will determine the type of license you need to have.

To say, any vehicle that is less than GVWR 26,001 pounds, including towing vehicle or combination of vehicles and not transporting hazardous goods, does not require a CDL.

Whereas if the vehicle’s overall weight exceeds 26,001 pounds, you’ll need a commercial license, and you’ll need CDL even if the weight is less than 26,001 pounds if you’re transporting hazardous goods or vehicles can accommodate more than 16 passengers seat including driver.

Anyone who is driving commercial vehicles needs a commercial license, and anyone who is driving private vehicles for traveling purpose are fine with Non-CDL.

And I don’t think you’ll ever need a CDL if you’re driving an RV and car because, according to, the average weight of an RV is about 10,000 pounds. And the average weight of a car is about 2,870 pounds.

This tells us that RVs and cars are usually less than 26,000 pounds, and RVs do not transport hazardous goods and can’t facilitate 16 people.

How to get a commercial license for an RV?

Here we are talking about the commercial license requirements as a US citizen.

You need to have a CDL if your RV’s GVWR weighs over 26,001 pounds, including the weight of towing vehicle (camper, etc.).

  • Be at least 21 years of age
  • Be at least 18 years of age to drive intrastate
  • Create an application for your CDL, submit it to your local authority, and pay the necessary fee.
  • Provide your SSN (Social Security Number) and your Identity (Check what your state requires)
  • Provide proof of state and your US residency.
  • Complete and submit the Medical Examination Report Form and Medical Examiner’s Certificate Form.
  • You need to pass the vision test
  • Pass a knowledge exam
  • After you pass the exam, you’ll get a Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP)
  • You may have to weigh a minimum of 14 days before you can schedule your CDL road skill examination
  • Pass the pre-trip inspection
  • Pass the driving and road skills examination (you must bring your vehicle)
  • After passing all the tests and exams, pay the fee needed for your new CDL
  • You may optionally require to submit a 10-year Record check if you previously have a CDL in any other state than which you’re applying.

Note: The given criteria are provided by the website name So I will not be responsible if there are any errors or failures in requirements.

Do RVs have to go through weigh stations?

In most states, Private RVs do not need to stop at any weigh station unless the police officer asks it. Until then, you’re fine.

But in Arkansas, Georgia, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota, Ohio, Iowa, Rhode Island, Washington state, Wisconsin, and Nevada, you need to stop at the weighing station if the RV weighs 10,000 pounds.

And all commercial vehicles must stop at the station regardless of weight in California, Connecticut, Kansas, and Texas.

If they ask to stop at the station, you should stop to avoid any problems.

Classes Of RV

For those who are curious to know the different classes of RV, here is the list of them. Moreover, the RV class can increase or reduce the weight of an RV because each type of RV comes with different qualities and features.

  • Park Model ‘Cottager’ (Known for all four seasons)
  • Park Models (It is a compromised version of the house and an RV)
  • Truck Campers
  • Pop-up Trailer
  • Travel Trailer
  • Fifth Wheel
  • Class A, Class B, and Class C Motorhome

Sharing is caring!