According to Kerbia, Wrangler jeans are made in Bangladesh, Mexico, and Nicargua. Bangladesh takes the majority but good chunks are still made in America.By Wrangler Consumer Relations
Wrangler has a long history of consistently making good cowboy jeans and some casual working pants that are not limited to just horse riding but they can also prove their efficiency on hiking and camping fields.
But are all Wrangler jeans made in the USA? Spoiler: It’s not possible! So, let’s study where are the wrangler jeans made. what styles are still manufactured in America? and above all Should you buy Wrangler jeans that are made in foreign countries?
Let’s take an in-depth look!
A Short History To Check Where Was Wrangler Founded?
Wrangler was originally formed in Greensboro, North Carolina in 1904 so it is a U.S based company right from its birth. However, back then it is known as the Hudson Overall Company manifested from the mind of a 20-year-old C.C. Hudson when he was working in an Overall factory for 25 cents per day to sew buttons in 1897.
That was history, today Wrangler is owned by Kontoor Brands Inc. (fortunately it is also located in Greensboro) is a child company of the VF Corporation that was first intended to run as VF’s Jeanswear Organisation on 23 May 2019 but later on end up having a different name “Kontoor Brands, Inc.” that not only includes Wrangler® but also Lee® and Rock & Republic® brands, and the VF Outlet™ business.
I tried searching the entire Wrangler website’s portfolio to find some helpful information about where their jeans are made but unfortunately, there’s not much to dig on. But now I know Wrangler jeans are in control of Kontor Brands so I truly hope that I may be able to find some worth reading information and data for you.
Let’s dig it all up!
Let’s See Where Exactly Are The Wrangler Jeans Made? (Manufacturing Locations)
Wrangler jeans are not made in just one country it’s well-diversified. As per my research, all Wrangler jeans (inclusive of all wrangler stores around the globe) are produced/manufactured in America, Bangladesh, China, India, Vietnam, and others. The majority of factories in these countries are from Primary Tier & Licensee, and a good chunk is from the subcontractor tier & sourced.
Here’s the breakdown by percentage:
|Country||Wrangler Manufacturing By Percentage|
Ok so you know where most wrangler jeans are made but what about which country tops in terms of several primary/subcontractor tier factories that Kontoor (Wrangler parent) has partnered with?
Read also: Do Wrangler Jeans Shrink? (5 Things To Know)
I am also providing you a chart for all countries where Kontoor Brands have factories to produce their apparel. This data does not include their accessories or footwear and is limited to all apparel that Kontoor is manufacturing for Wrangler, Lee, and their other brands. Based on data United States Of America only has 1.7% apparel factories of 100% yet Kontoor Brands says that they procure 35% of production to America. It is possible if factories have the resources to produce more jeans/apparel with just 9 factories in the USA.
The above data is based on the filtered Kontoor Brands Factories List. Kontoor is the parent company of Wrangler & Lee Jeans so rest assured the countries with the most factories inevitably account for more production. If not, then why does Bangladesh have 119 factories while the US has only nine? Is it all for nothing? Economically, of course not.
If we truly want to purchase sustainable products, we need to make sure the manufacturer and supplier are also sustainable on all levels, not just for one particular brand. Where on one hand, they are not killing animals to make sustainable and ethical products for brand A but hiddenly doing for brand B (Inclusive well-being is far more important than filling pockets exclusively).Michael K. CEO & Founder of Outdoor Favor
Can’t Wrangler Manufacture All Jeans In the USA? Why?
Wrangler can’t manufacture all of their jeans in the USA only. And here are some shocking reasons based on market facts:
- Manufacturing a pair of jeans cost $5 in Bangladesh, $5.50-$6 in China, and the same will cost more than $9 in the US depending on the quality. The price will increase or lower based on how many units you’ll order. So the point is when the same quality can be bought for $5 why company solely manufacture in the USA only? And this is why more than 40% of Wrangler (Kontoor) clothing is made in Bangladesh.
- Cost is the biggest factor but the next reason can also shift the decision: by manufacturing jeans overseas in countries like to say India it will be close to the Indian market which will yield many benefits.
- I like this: According to NCBI, The ultimate objective of a global sourcing strategy is for the company to exploit both its own and its suppliers’ competitive advantages and the comparative locational advantages of various countries in global competition.
How To Find Made In USA Wrangler Jeans?
Finding a made-in-the-USA just searching on the wrangler website is a hard job to do, that’s why here are some timesaver tips that’ll directly put you to real made-in-USA wrangler jeans>
- Wrangler ‘Rooted’ series is 100% made in the USA (Confirmed)
- Wrangler 1947 series is made in the USA like this & this. (Confirmed)
- I don’t know but the Texas series is supposed to be made in Texas. (Not-Confirmed)
Should I Even Buy Non-American Wrangler Jeans?
Why not, tell me if I gave you three options:
- A is made in America & B in Bangladesh but both are equally high in quality
- A is better in quality than B
- B is better in quality than A
Which jeans would you buy: of course, they provide great quality if you think wisely then the Bangladesh one will be cheaper so why should you not buy the one that is of greater quality and cheaper? Just because of the “Made in ?” label, it’s just in your subconscious.
However, don’t pat the belief that “Made in Bangladesh, China, Indonesia, etc” will always be higher or lower in quality as it largely depends on material & craftsmanship.